ISO 14001 benefits
Last updated 2015.
ISO 14001 environmental management systems are the most recognised and developed environmental management systems in the world. There are currently nearly 4,000 certified organisations registered with JAS-ANZ in Australia alone and benefiting from the guidance provided within the ISO 14001 standard.
With organisations becoming more aware of their environmental impact many want to manage and control their risks. By implementing an ISO 14001 environmental management system they are formalising this process and gaining recognition for their actions. ISO 14001 benefits for an organisation can be significant.
Organisations that have implemented an effective ISO 14001 EMS may directly benefit through:
- Increased demand for their services and products through a marketing advantage;
- Lowering business costs through reducing resource consumption and waste production;
- Improving their environmental performance, reducing their environmental impact and controlling environmental risk;
- Achieving their environmental commitments and environmental policy requirements;
- Meeting their environmental legal requirements;
- Committing to social responsibilities;
- Promoting a positive image with stakeholders, customers and employees; and
- Retaining environmental knowledge and ensuring information is effectively communicated.